Studio Office


Announcements // Award criteria // How to apply for a studio // Application documents

How do I apply for a studio?

In addition to the application form and information about income, an informal letter describing the concrete professional and social urgency of the artist's individual studio needs, an artistic curriculum vitae, and a presentation of his or her professional activity as a visual artist are sufficient for the application itself.
Please note the new application process: --> application procedure

For studios in the studio rental program, a self-disclosure of the artist's income situation (form) is required, for studio apartments in the housing subsidy programs a residence entitlement certificate (Wohnberechtigungsschein, please apply to the Municipal District Office).

The documents must be submitted in full to the Studio Office by the respective application deadline.

Attention: due to contact restrictions (COVID-19), visits are not possible at the moment. Instead, we are making image and/or video material available on our website.

to the current announcement


The Society for Urban Development (Gesellschaft für Stadtentwicklung GSE) rents out rooms from municipal housing associations and other landlords that are suitable for artistic work. After the Studio Office has made an announcement, artists have applied, and the studio advisory committee has awarded the spaces, the GSE concludes subletting contracts with the named artists and usually passes on its own general terms of lease.

The rent for these rooms should not exceed a maximum of 4.09 € per m²/warm. It can vary according to condition, equipment and location. If the sub-rent for a specific property is too high for you, please give a brief and informal reason for this in writing and clearly explain the limits of your ability to pay. Please enclose this declaration with your letter of application.

In addition, there is the possibility of reducing the subtenancy rate in specially justified individual cases:

  • in particularly difficult financial circumstances or
  • in case of particularly high work-related expenses.

The studios are allocated for a period of two years.

After renewed proof of income, the contracts will be renewed for another two years, provided that the eligibility requirements are still met.

Subsidised studios and studio apartments are allocated exclusively to professional visual artists according to social and professional urgency. Their place of residence must be Berlin. A recent move to Berlin can only be seen as urgent after a period of six months.

There is an income limit for applicants in the studio rental program. It is currently between 16,000 € and 23,500 €, depending on the size of the household. For studio apartments, a residence entitlement certificate (Wohnberechtigungsschein) must be presented.

Instructions for applying for a subsidised studio or studio apartment can be found here.

To apply for a studio apartment, a WBS with special space requirements must be submitted in most cases. This can be applied for from the municipal district offices:

The special space requirement should be explained under points 5 and 6 of the application.

 You must declare your total net annual household income on the income situation form.This includes income from the sale of work, from fee and work contracts or scholarships, wage and salary income, investment income, unemployment benefit or assistance, housing benefit, pension, social assistance, child benefit, other benefits and other income.

You should state your net income, i.e. income after deduction of taxes paid and operating expenses for artistic activities.

If your household consists of several persons, the net annual income of these persons (including child benefit) must be added to your personal net annual income.

Since income for freelancers fluctuates seasonally, we always consider the annual income from the previous year. In case of significant deviations from the year of application, please contact the studio office.

For more detailed information see our filling aid for the income form (DEU/ENG).

The following annual net incomes should not be exceeded (examples)

  • a single artist: 16,055 €
  • a single artist with child: 18,417 €
  • a couple (one partner artist) together: 18,335 €
  • a couple (both partners artists) together: 23,448 €
  • a couple with child (one partner artist) together: 20,697 €

For each additional person living in the household and supported by you (i.e. especially children under 18 years of age), the income limit is increased by €2,362.

If your work-related expenses (such as material expenses, advertising costs, etc.) have exceeded the lump sum of 5,000 €, please add a rough list of costs on a separate sheet (no individual invoices, please).

The selection decisions for the allocation of studios and studio apartments funded or provided by the State of Berlin will be taken by an independent advisory committee, which is supervised by the Studio Office.

Studio Advisory Committee



Studios and studio apartments with fixed rental prices


All studios and studio flats to be awarded within the funding program will be advertised in the Studio Newsletter via the Studio Office, sent to those artists registered as seeking a studio.

An announcement is made every two months and can also be viewed at

Attention: due to contact restrictions (COVID-19), visits are not possible at the moment. Instead, we are making image and/or video material available on our website.

to the current announcement


Rental contracts for the studio apartments

The rental contracts for the studio apartments are concluded directly with the landlord or the respective property company. They are purely residential leases and are therefore subject to greater protection against termination; the contractual provisions of the property management companies apply.

The rent is fixed and is based on the local rent index. As a rule, three net cold rents must be paid as a deposit. Housing allowance can be applied for to cover the residential part of the space, provided the rooms are used as your first residence.

Artists are obliged to register their rooms with the Studio Office for subsequent or interim letting if they change studios and/or spend a longer period of time abroad.